"I was, in fact, homesick for wildness, and when I found it I knew how intimately - how resonantly - I belonged there. We are charged with this - all of us. For the human spirit has a primal allegiance to wildness, to really live, to snatch the fruit and suck it, to spill the juice." - Jay Griffiths, Wild: an Elemental Journey

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Text Battle

Although Oldman has indeed moved out and to his parents' house in New Orleans, and our individual and joint futures are uncertain, that has not stopped us from having silly text conversations.  In fact, this is what we used to do, but living together for the past five months has given us little opportunity.  Inspired by my favorite blogger, The Bloggess, who often posts silly conversations that she has with her husband, I have decided to share one of ours here.

Note: Oldman can get stuck on one subject sometimes (usually something technical that puts me to sleep), and I call him Rainman when he does this.  When I talked to him while he was on his way down to Louisiana, he went on and on about his great gas mileage, all Rainman-style.  This is important background information for the following text conversation.


Oh, and also, Oldman is very shy, and doesn't like to talk to people too much.  This is also important background information.


(autismwonderland.com)

Me: Holy crap I got to work in 15 minutes!

Oldman: That's how long it takes to get to Hudson Trail Outfitters

Me: No, it takes four minutes to get to Hudson Trail

Oldman: At least 12 minutes.

Me: Well you're an old man so you drive slowly.

Oldman: Meh. I get great gas mileage.

Me: Ok, Rainman.

Oldman: Definitely.  Definitely.

Me: Anyway, how is your day?  What have you been doing?

Oldman: Taking care of the dog, unpacking, and playing that stupid RPG (role-playing game) on my phone.

Me: Maybe you could think of life as an RPG and it would help you interact with people.  Think about gaining points as you build up friendships and connections.

Oldman: That sounds like a stupid game.

Me: Your face sounds like a stupid game.

Oldman: Yo' mamma.  Oh SNAP!

Oldman: Yo momma is a wonderful woman is what I meant to say.

Me: Damn straight she is.

Me: But listen, about my RPG idea, I think it's also really important that you have it take place in 2012 because between your "Oh snap," your "yo momma" jokes, and your inescapable rainman-ness, you're a little stuck in the 90's.  So then in your RPG, you could also earn points by learning culturally relevant slang.

Oldman: Whaaaat!  Says you.  The 80's called and wants their music back.  AND your dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment